At St Anthony’s Catholic Primary School, we strive for children to be a ‘Primary Literate Pupil’.
We aim for children to be able to:
- Read fluently and with confidence in any subject. We want them to have a love of reading and to want to read for themselves in order to inspire and enlighten their core values and deepen their understanding.
- Acquire a wide and varied vocabulary to make them eloquent, wise and compassionate in their choice and use of words. The children will have
- Grasp a good understanding of grammar in context and to be able to spell new words by applying the spelling patterns and rules they learn throughout their time at St Anthony’s.
- Write clearly, succinctly and coherently, adapting their language and style as necessary.
- Understand that all good writers refine and edit their writing thoughtfully and critically. This is part of the writing process which leads to an outcome which is mindful of its purpose and effect upon the reader or audience.
- Take pride in the presentation of their writing and aim to develop a legible, joined handwriting style.
English Policy Sept 2021
In handwriting, children transition from printing to cursive through Pre cursive writing. Early writers practise adding lead ins and lead outs to letters ensuring the letters start and finish in the correct place for writing to be joined.
St Anthony’s Handwriting Policy – September 2021
St Anthony’s Letter-Join Home Access